Perley Health is committed to maintaining the confidentiality and security of each resident’s personal health information. These privacy practices are aligned with Ontario’s Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
If you would like to receive information about Perley Health’s Privacy Program, contact the Privacy Office at ext. 613.526-7171 (ext. 2408).
To contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario:
- 2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400 Toronto, ON M4W 1A8
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Telephone: 416-326-3333
Keeping Your Personal Health Information Private is Important to Us
Personal Health Information and Privacy: Ontario has a law that protects your personal health information. We are required to keep your personal health information safe and secure. You have the right to know how we may use and give it out and how you can get access to it.
Perley Health is committed to the security and confidentiality of your personal health information. Our practices are aligned with Ontario`s Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
Your Personal Health Information (PHI) includes:
- Your contact information and the contact information of an individual who is your Substitute-Decision-Maker (SDM)
- Your health information, health care history, and family health history
- Information about payment for your health services, including your health card number
Who can see and use your Personal Health Information
- You or a person who can legally make decisions for you about your personal health information can use and see it.
- We may collect, use and give out your personal health information to others, as reasonably necessary to:
- provide you with health care and assistance, both within and outside our care facility;
- communicate or consult about your health care with your doctor(s) and other health care providers;
- obtain payment for your health care, including from the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (for all residents), and to Veterans Affairs Canada (for Veterans only)
- To improve your care, Perley Health is participating in the provincial Integrated Assessment Record (IAR) initiative.
- The IAR uses a secure electronic system to share your health information with other health services providers that care for you so they have the most up-to-date and complete record of your health history and needs
Your Rights and Choices
You or a person who can make decisions for you about your personal health information have the right:
- to see and receive a copy of your personal health information
- to request a correction of your records if you believe there are errors
- to receive more information about Perley Health’s Privacy Program by contacting the Privacy Officer
- to be told if your personal health information is stolen, lost or improperly accessed
- to withdraw / change consent for the sharing of any of your personal health information at any time
- to file a complaint with the Information Privacy Commissioner of Ontario if you believe that Perley Health is non-compliant with Ontario’s Privacy Legislation
Family, Friends, and Clergy
- Your family and friends can be told general information about you, such as your location in the facility and your general health condition (e.g. the resident is doing well), unless you tell us not to give out this information.
- If you give us information about your religion, we may give your name and location to the clergy, unless you tell us not to do so.
Fundraising and Marketing
- Our facility relies on resident and community support for a part of our funding.
- Unless you tell us not to do so, we or others such as our Foundation may use your name and address to contact you to ask for your support.
Research, Education and Planning
- Sometimes, because of your condition or the treatment you have received, we or others may contact you about research, special projects, or products or services that may help you.
- You will be asked if you are interested in more information. There is no obligation to participate in any research activity. You will always be asked if you are interested to learn more.
- There are also other types of research projects which do not require your consent; these must have safeguards in place to protect your privacy.
- We may use your personal health information without your consent for our own education, planning and management.
- We may also provide your personal health information to certain organizations for use in the planning and management of the health care system.
How to Reach Us
If you have questions or concerns about our privacy practices, please speak to our Privacy Officer 613-526-7170 ext. 2408