Perley Health is a unique and innovative community that empowers Seniors and Veterans to live life to the fullest. Home to more than 600 Seniors and Veterans in long-term care and in independent apartments, Perley Health provides a growing number of clinical, therapeutic and recreational services to residents, tenants and people from across the region.
One of the largest and most progressive long-term care homes in Ontario, Perley Health is also a centre for research, education, and clinical innovation. Our Centre of Excellence in Frailty-Informed Care conducts and shares the practical research needed to improve care. Future caregivers come here to study and to acquire hands-on skills and experience.
Perley Health's values are brought to life each day by our over 800 employees. And more than 400 regular volunteers connect us closely with the community. Together, we improve the well-being of Canada's aging population.
We are embarking on a multi-year growth strategy, and are seeking an experienced:
Full-Time; 1 Year Contract
Direct Patient Care
- Assesses resident needs through interview, clinical observation, problem solving, use of clinical reasoning and standardized/non-standardized testing to determine the physical, psychological and social needs of the resident and to identify the nature and extent of their impairment.
- Following the review and analysis of the assessment data, a treatment program and intervention plan is developed, implemented and evaluated to facilitate the goal of optimal function and independence in activities of daily living.
- Intervention plans may include skin integrity programs, seating and positioning, bed positioning, environmental adaptations and accessibility, upper extremity positioning, assistive devices (e.g. raised toilet seat, commode, feeding aids, dressing aids, etc.), safety devices, fall risk reduction and restraint initiation.
Indirect Patient Care
- Directs, supervises and monitors Occupational Therapy Assistants (OTA) with implementation of occupational therapy programs, evaluations of results, and modification of treatment plan as necessary.
- Documents all assignments and provides a written report to referral source and or team for all treatment activities and evaluation.
- Screens all Occupational Therapy referrals for the veteran population and coordinates the delivery of Occupational Therapy services with Veteran's Affairs Canada: assessment, treatment programs, and follow-up. Assists in the design, implementation and evaluation of programs related to Occupational Therapy.
- Seeks and applies for funding through available funding resources such as Assistive Devices Program (ADP), Blue Cross, Veteran's Affairs Canada, insurance companies, non-profit organizations or funding agencies, as appropriate and as available.
- Contributes to the development and review of Occupational Therapy clinical policies and procedures. Participates in care conferences, care reviews and internal and external committees related to clinical services and is an active member of the interdisciplinary team.
- Ensures all mobility equipment and other assistive devices are adequate and in working order and maintains an inventory to ensure that equipment is safe and appropriate to meet resident needs (e.g. cushions, broda chairs, wheelchairs, pressure redistribution surfaces, ADL equipment).
- Advocates and provides input on new and/or replacement equipment based on resident needs.
- Collaborates and consults with other health care professionals (both institutionally and non-institutionally based), funding agencies, vendors and government agencies in planning and providing Occupational Therapy services and resident care, and maximizing function for individuals within their environment.
- Develops and delivers clinical teaching programs for staff (e.g. general positioning and seating, skin management using pressure redistribution equipment, maintenance of equipment, etc.).
- Provides guidance and education to residents, staff and family members to ensure proper use of equipment, to ensure understanding of treatment programs, and to make suggestions and recommendations about treatment or equipment.
- Supervises and teaches Occupational Therapy students in clinical placements within the guidelines of the University of Ottawa or other educational institutions.
- Maintains competence by attending workshops, in-services and educational programs relevant to professional practice (COTO – College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario - Standards of Practice).
Reception and Clerical Duties
- Completes clerical duties as needed to support professional role (e.g. photocopying, faxing documents, typing reports and memos, maintaining filing system, ordering and maintaining office supplies).
- Maintains administrative records and statistics.
- Completes referrals to Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) for Occupational Therapy services.
- Liaises with vendors to provide estimates for equipment.
- Maintains inventory of existing equipment in facility.
- Certification or Degree required: Sc. Occupational Therapy of M.Sc. Occupational Therapy
- Member of the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario
- Technical Skills: Maintenance of equipment related to Occupational Therapy (e.g. minor wheelchair adjustments, use of hand tools for wheelchair adjustments)
- ADP authorizer for prescription of mobility equipment
- Previous supervisory experience of OTA and Occupational Therapy students
- Assessment and intervention planning experience with geriatric population and those living with complex needs.
- Experience preferred with psycho-geriatric conditions (e.g. Alzheimer's and related dementias).
Please forward your resume and cover letter, outlining your background and experience with each key responsibility to be considered for the role.
We thank all candidates for applying; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
For candidates selected for consideration, Perley Health, upon request, will make reasonable accommodation for any disability-related needs with respect to the recruitment process and materials.