Perley Health is a unique and innovative community that empowers Seniors and Veterans to live life to the fullest. Home to more than 600 Seniors and Veterans in long-term care and in independent apartments, Perley Health provides a growing number of clinical, therapeutic and recreational services to residents, tenants and people from across the region.
One of the largest and most progressive long-term care homes in Ontario, Perley Health is also a centre for research, education, and clinical innovation. Our Centre of Excellence in Frailty-Informed Care conducts and shares the practical research needed to improve care. Future caregivers come here to study and to acquire hands-on skills and experience.
PerleyHealth’s values are brought to life each day by our over 800 employees. And more than 400 regular volunteers connect us closely with the community. Together, we improve the well-being of Canada’s aging population.
We are embarking on a multi-year growth strategy, and are seeking an experienced
Manager, Occupational Health & Wellness
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the Manager, Occupational Health & Wellness (OH&W) is responsible for leading the design, management, and implementation of the Occupational Health and Wellness program, including the education of new hires and current staff, illness and disability management, WSIB Program, health screening and surveillance, immunization programs, annual influenza vaccination program, health promotion and wellness, early and safe return to work, and, review of medical directives and policies related to OH&W program at Perley Health.
The Manager, Occupational Health & Wellness has the following key responsibilities:
- Work with departmental leadership to develop a shared vision for Human Resources Health and Wellness in the ever-changing Healthcare environment
- Provide occupational health and wellness expertise and guidance to the organization, and implement and champion employee and physician wellness programming.
- Ensure compliance with relevant legislation and corresponding regulations.
- Develop new policies and/or update existing policies as required to ensure compliance with legislation, as it pertains to health and wellness
- Act as a liaison to the WSIB and benefits carrier, as required under health and safety and workplace safety legislation
- Act as a resource to frontline Supervisors/ Managers and work collaboratively with the Infection Prevention and Control team.
- Represent management on the Joint Health and Safety Committee and attend the Operations Management Committee
- Coordinate all aspects of illness/disability management to ensure a timely and safe return to work following Sick/LTD/WSIB absence
- Consult with and assist human resources staff and managers with the identification and management of disability related job accommodation requirements or modified work, to ensure compliance with the WSIB, OHSA and the Ontario Human Rights Code
- Manage external contracts with various service providers (e.g. EFAP, medical consultants)
- Offer guidance, coaching, and mentoring to the HR team to foster professional development and enhance skills.
- Assist with the review of the operating budget for Occupational Health and Wellness activities
- Develop, monitor and report on occupational health and wellness metrics
Required Education & Experience:
- Degree in Occupational Health, Disability Management or related discipline
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience
- Management or supervisory experience is preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of Occupational Health and Safety in a unionized environment
- Experience in hospital or long-term care setting preferred
- Demonstrated ability to develop plans and carry out broad assignments involving related and associated activities
- Expertise in illness and disability management prevention and intervention
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead, motivate and mentor staff
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and take steps to ensure timely completion of tasks by delegating and adjusting priorities as required
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and work collaboratively with all work-related contacts (staff and peers)
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle stressful situations and lead with empathy when engaging with others
- Comprehensive knowledge of applicable occupational health and safety legislation; general knowledge of corporate/departmental policies and procedures related to health and safety.
- Bilingualism (French / English) is preferred
- Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic/experience requirements
- Occupational Health and Safety Knowledge
- Health Promotion and Wellness Program Management
- Regulatory Compliance
- Risk Assessment and Management
- Employee Education and Training
- Data Analysis and Reporting
- Partner Engagement and Communication
- Crisis and Emergency Response
- Health and Wellness Advocacy
- Program Evaluation and Continuous Improvement
Please forward your resume and cover letter, outlining your background and experience with each key responsibility to be considered for the role.
We thank all candidates for applying; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
For candidates selected for consideration, Perley Health, upon request, will make reasonable accommodation for any disability-related needs with respect to the recruitment process and materials.