Perley Health is a unique and innovative community that empowers Seniors and Veterans to live life to the fullest. Home to more than 600 Seniors and Veterans in long-term care and in independent apartments, Perley Health provides a growing number of clinical, therapeutic and recreational services to residents, tenants and people from across the region.
One of the largest and most progressive long-term care homes in Ontario, Perley Health is also a centre for research, education, and clinical innovation. Our Centre of Excellence in Frailty-Informed Care conducts and shares the practical research needed to improve care. Future caregivers come here to study and to acquire hands-on skills and experience.
Perley Health’s values are brought to life each day by our over 800 employees. And more than 400 regular volunteers connect us closely with the community. Together, we improve the well-being of Canada’s aging population.
We are embarking on a multi-year growth strategy, and are seeking an experienced
Manager, Therapeutic Recreation & Creative Arts
Under the direction of the COO, the Manager, Therapeutic Recreation & Creative Arts is responsible for the integration and co-ordination of programs provided by the Recreation/Creative Arts Services department. The Manager is responsible for cost effective management of the programs within a model of resident-centered care.
The Manager has overall responsibility for the effective operation of programs and support including, planning, evaluation and program development, in collaboration with the staff from these services.
The Manager provides direct programmatic leadership to Recreation/Creative Arts Services for internal and external residents and clients.
The Manager, Therapeutic Recreation & Creative Arts has the following key responsibilities:
Manages Recreation/Creative Arts Services
- In adherence to the Fixing Long-Term Care Act, Accreditation and Professional Standards, the Manager, Therapeutic Recreation & Creative Arts manages the Recreation/Creative Arts Services for residents and external clients. In alignment with Perley Health’s Strategic Plan of Creating a Seniors’ Village, leads the Recreation and Creative Arts services; monitors progress and evaluates achievement of goals and objectives, co-ordinates the establishment, review and/or update of the services’ policies and procedures.
- Designs and implements creative arts programs; assesses needs and interests of the residents, develops and implements appropriate activities for the residents and evaluates results.
- Supervises the day-to-day delivery of services and promotes effective communication and teamwork.
- Implements Quality Improvement and Risk Management activities.
- Provides consultation on recreation and creative arts delivery to all staff; liaises with Perley Health staff, community, and outside agencies to facilitate resident centred Recreation/ Creative Arts services.
- Meets on a regular basis with other members of the management team, Recreation Therapists or Programmers and senior Recreation/Creative Arts Services staff to plan, evaluate and audit the programs, activities, utilization, staff and budget.
- Communicates directly with residents’ family members and/or friends, visitors and external clients residing in and outside of the facility to ensure the seamless delivery of services.
- Maintains inventory control of supplies; utilizes the supplies budget for routine expenditures and requisitions supplies to ensure effective functioning of leisure activities and services.
- Plans for appropriate facilities, equipment, supplies, set-ups, catering and transportation for activities.
- Maintains a safe environment for residents and staff.
- Orients, trains and supervises staff, students, and volunteers to the services.
Organization-Wide Leadership & Support
- The Manager, Therapeutic Recreation & Creative Arts participates in organization-wide planning sessions, programs service development and policy drafting.
- The Manager participates in change management and the development of new practices and procedures for resident care in program areas. These must be consistent with applicable legislation, appropriate standards of care and evidence-based resident-centered care.
- The Manager Programs and Support is a member of cross-functional and multi-disciplinary committees.
- Ensures appropriate selection, training and performance of staff.
- Forecasts, develops, and manages departmental budget and ensures that department operates within allocated funds.
- Three-year college-level management
- 5 years of related experience, with a minimum of 2 years of experience at the management level.
- Knowledge of Long-Term Care Provincial Standards
- Knowledge of professional standards for recreation
- Interpretation and analysis of service contracts
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Organization and coordination skills
- Leadership skills
- Microsoft Office
We thank all candidates for applying; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
For candidates selected for consideration, Perley Health, upon request, will make reasonable accommodation for any disability-related needs with respect to the recruitment process and materials.