Reference Number 2023-256
Perley Health is a unique and innovative community that empowers Seniors and Veterans to live life to the fullest. Home to more than 600 Seniors and Veterans in long-term care and in independent apartments, Perley Health provides a growing number of clinical, therapeutic and recreational services to residents, tenants and people from across the region.
One of the largest and most progressive long-term care homes in Ontario, Perley Health is also a centre for research, education, and clinical innovation. Our Centre of Excellence in Frailty-Informed Care conducts and shares the practical research needed to improve care. Future caregivers come here to study and to acquire hands-on skills and experience.
Perley Health’s values are brought to life each day by our over 800 employees. And more than 400 regular volunteers connect us closely with the community. Together, we improve the well-being of Canada’s aging population.
We are embarking on a multi-year growth strategy, and are seeking an experienced:
Manager, Food & Nutrition
Manager, Food & Nutrition Position
Reporting directly to the Director, Support Services, the Manager, Food and Nutrition is a member of Perley Health’s Support Services leadership team.
The ability to meet the normal requirements of the job, including but not restricted to:
- The Manager, Food and Nutrition provides leadership, program planning and quality food services to the residents, tenants and contract services at Perley Health
- Seeking a dynamic leader who has a demonstrated history of achieving results, leading change initiatives, and who is able to think critically and strategically in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrates our values of compassion, excellence, respect and integrity when leading the delivery of an exceptional resident experience
- Ensures that the Food and Nutrition department operates within defined resources to provide high-quality, appetizing food of optimal nutritional quality to residents
- Oversees Perley Health Non-Resident and Resident Services food production, portioning, assembly and meal service.
- Oversees Perley Health’s Clinical Nutrition Services, providing guidance and direction to Clinical Supervisor for Dietitians regarding operational, staffing, and financial challenges
- Directs Food and Nutrition Supervisors and Registered Dietitians, and departmental staff regarding service, product, and operational issues
- Determines departmental goals and objectives in keeping with organizational and departmental philosophy
- Directs department activities and maintains the highest quality of food and service standards
- Participates in evaluating food products and developing menus
- Creates an environment which empowers individuals to take ownership and responsibility of their actions and nurtures high morale
- Develops and manages collaborative relationships with peers and associates in other organizations
- Evaluates performance of direct reports, documenting concerns and progress and conducting applicable rounding
- Manages all phases of operational planning and expenditures, inventory management, procurement and budgeting, costing and financial reporting
- Prepares requests for capital equipment as required
- Attends interdepartmental meetings and is an active member of our Perley Health Management team.
- Training and orientation of dietetic interns and students in culinary management or Nutrition & Food Services Management may be required
- Leads the ongoing planning, development, and quality improvements for the food services and clinical nutrition programs
- Maintains compliance with Public Health standards, ensuring that food safety and sanitation is a priority in all department activities
- Ensures that ongoing Accreditation Canada standards, Required Operational Practices (ROPs) are met
- Leads all Human Resources matters in the department.
- Undergraduate degree in Human Nutrition & Dietetics program at a university accredited by the Partnership for Dietetic Education and Practice
- Completion of a dietetic internship program preferred
- Registration with the College of Dietitians of Ontario preferred
- Membership with Dietitians of Canada OR graduate of a nutrition-related degree
- Membership in the Canadian Society of Nutrition Management (CSNM)
- Minimum of five years’ experience in a similar role in a large organization, preferred experience in a long-term care setting
- Advanced ability in food service and diet office administration
- Knowledge of clinical therapeutic diets and menu planning
- Proficiency in computer skills, particularly Microsoft Office and MealSuite Suite (Food and Nutrition Services software)
- Knowledgeable about the latest trends in resident food services
- Knowledge of food service operations in a cook chill retherm operation
- Knowledge of incorporating cultural foods into diverse resident menu offerings
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and develop direct reports and frontline staff during times of change and shifting priorities
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent planning, organization, and time management skills including project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically / conceptually
- Excellent critical thinking, decision-making, problem solving, and conflict resolution skills
- Proven excellence in fiscal management of department budgets, contracts and project costs
- Strong track record in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
We thank all candidates for applying; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
For candidates selected for consideration, Perley Health, upon request, will make reasonable accommodation for any disability-related needs with respect to the recruitment process and materials.